United Stunned in Home Defeat to Ferrymead Bays - CUFC 2-3 Ferrymead Bays

Christchurch United were defeated by mid-table battler Ferrymead Bays on Thursday night, weakening their chances of securing National League qualification this season.

Head Coach Ryan Edwards had another key player, David Yoo, join an ever-growing injury list before the match.

Edwards made just the one change to the side who beat Nomads at Tulett Park the previous weekend, with 15-year-old Sena Vesty making hist first Southern League start in central midfield.

The game struggled for fluency in the early moments of the game. Neither team had truly threatened to take the lead until fifteen minutes in.

Jackson Cole bursted past the Ferrymead left back and played it across to Waisea Henry, who flicked it on to Daniel Meyn, who smashed home the opener into the top right corner for his first Southern League goal this year.

United began to control proceedings much better until just after the half hour mark. A combination of mistakes in our defensive third allowed Chris Murphy to breeze past our midfield and slot home Bays' equalizer.

The Rams did respond just before the break. Captain Joel Stevens took initiative, roaming to the right flank, wiggling past the opposition and playing through Waisea Henry for his first goal for the Christchurch United First Team!

Waisea is one of many CUFC Academy graduates who has regularly gotten minutes under Ryan Edwards this season. A lovely moment for him and his family as he put United 2-1 up at half time.

However, the second half was one to forget for Ryan Edwards' side. Ferrymead Bays equalizer soon after the break from the penalty. United struggled to gain any momentum from then onwards. Eventually, the Bays pressure paid off as Trey Stewart capitilised on the chaos inside United's penalty area to score the winner.

The First Team have a bit of a break due to this weekend's cup fixtures. Their next game comes on the 13th of July away to University of Canterbury AFC.