Christchurch United takes all 3 points from Parklands

Christchurch United won against Parklands yesterday, after struggling to get the full 3 points for the last few weeks. The number 5 of the Canterbury Championship League didn’t give the win away for nothing, as Christchurch United had to make a big effort to come away with the win.

Although the amount of rain during the week predicted else, the game was played at Parklands Reserve, on a wet and muddy pitch, which made it hard for Christchurch United to play their own game on. Parklands United seemed to be more used to it, as they tried putting the ball behind the Christchurch United defense to create some chances.

foto van Christchurch United FC.

Rodrigo Alvarez, here pictured earlier in the season, was back in the starting line-up yesterday.

A few half chances from both sides couldn’t worry both keepers too much, but 25 minutes into the game Christchurch United opened the score. After a quick one-two between Colin van Gool and former Parklands player Tom Chadwick, Colin van Gool crossed the ball low and hard into the box and midfielder James Toohey was in the right spot to convert the cross into a goal, to make his first goal of the season.

Christchurch United kept going and James Toohey scored another goal just a few minutes later, but this time his goal was disallowed as he was in offside position. Parklands started pushing for the equalizer and got what they wanted just before half-time, when Sam Curry converted a cross into an own goal, which saw both teams going into the half-time break 1-1.

foto van Christchurch United FC.

James Toohey, here celebrating Mike O’Connor’s goal against Parklands earlier in the season, scored the 1-0 yesterday.


In the second half, Christchurch United pushed for the winning goal and created a few good chances. With 30 minutes to play, Parklands gave away an own goal, after a scrimmage in front of their goal. A few moments later, Henry Finnis had the chance to put Christchurch United in a comfortable position, but he couldn’t finish off a good attack, after Juan Chang set him up close to the goal. After a second half that took 60 minutes and a couple of dangerous set pieces from Parklands, the referee blew his whistle with a 2-1 score on the boards.

foto van Christchurch United FC.

Henry Finnis, here battling for the ball against Parklands earlier in the season, came on yesterday and gave the assist for the winning goal.

The win puts Christchurch United in a more comfortable second spot, after Halswell United and Waimak United drew at Kendall Park. The next game for Christchurch United is against Burwood, which will be the first game of the last round of the Canterbury Championship League. The game will be played at the Christchurch Football Centre at 2.30pm.