Christchurch United smash and grab at Kendall Park

Christchurch United bounced back from their defeat at Forster Park on Tuesday night against Selwyn United, by winning the tough away game against Waimak United. The game was played out in Kaiapoi, at the turf of Kendall Park.

foto van Christchurch United FC.

Rodrigo Alvarez, here pictured earlier in the season against Waimak, started again on the right wing.

Christchurch United was forced to make some changes to their usual line up, missing the usual centre midfield pairing, with Russell Brooker and Colin van Gool both sitting out due to suspension. With some other players missing and Juan Chang going off early in the game due to a head injury, this showed to be a great opportunity for other players to take their chance and prove themselves.

In an uneventfull first half, both teams didn’t create any good goalscoring opportunities, which saw Christchurch United and Waimak United going into the half-time break with a 0-0 draw. The teams did keep the referee busy, as he awarded multiple yellow cards.

foto van Christchurch United FC.

Juan Chang went off early in the game with a head injury.

The start of the second half started similar to the first half and didn’t really change the tempo of the game. It seemed to be a typical game to end in a 0-0 draw, but with Henry Finnis coming off the bench as a false nine, he made a instant impact in making Christchurch United looking more dangerous in the final third of the field.

The boys in blue and white seemed to be more settled in the final quarter of the game, started getting the ball down and keep some more posession higher up the pitch. Good pressure from the Christchurch United attackers, saw Henry Finnis going 1v1 with the goalkeeper and put the ball in the far bottom corner five minutes before full-time. Substitute Atticus Jones came close in the dying moments of the game, with a short range header, but only managed to find the post, leaving the end result 1-0 to Christchurch United.

foto van Christchurch United FC.

Henry Finnis changed the game for Christchurch United, coming on as a false nine.

The win sees Christchurch United getting in a better second position, with 5 points ahead of Halswell United, who will be the next opponent next Saturday. Christchurch United will travel down to the Hawks Nest, where the game will kick-off at 2.30 pm.