Christchurch United secures draw in final minutes against Waimak

Christchurch United didn’t get away with the win yesterday in the game against Waimak United, who remain third on the table.

The game between the number 2 and 3 in the Canterbury Championship League was played at the Christchurch Football Centre, Christchurch United’s home ground. The first half saw Christchurch United dominating the game, playing the ball around and looking to create opportunities to score. Most of the danger came from left winger Juan Chang, who caused plenty of trouble for the Waimak United defense, but none of his dribbles and crosses could be converted in a goal by the Christchurch United attack.

foto van Christchurch United FC.

Juan Chang about to deliver a dangerous cross into the Waimak United box.

The Christchurch United defense had nothing to worry about from Waimak during the first half, with no action needed for goalkeeper Lew Gordon. Half an hour into the game, one of Chang’s many dribbles went past several defenders, before delivering a low cross to the penalty spot, but the Waimak United defense managed to get a foot on the ball before Wedsley Paiva could tap the ball in. Both teams went into the half-time break scoreless, which meant everything had to be decided in the second half.

foto van Christchurch United FC.

Sam Curry was positioned on the left yesterday and put in a great performance against his old club.

Where Christchurch United started the second half of where they ended the first half, Waimak United started to put more pressure forward, which caused some more trouble for the boys in blue and white than in the first half. Christchurch United started being less concentrated and losing the ball in dangerous positions, which gave Waimak United opportunities to break out, creating a big opportunity which wasn’t converted by the attackers.

Ten minutes before full-time, Waimak United converted a corner into the opening goal of the game, after the captain was the first one to respond, after a scrimmage close to the Christchurch United goal. In the remaining minutes of the game, Waimak tried to defend their lead, but Jack Ferris tapped in a cross in the far corner, after he escaped from the attention of the Waimak defense.

foto van Christchurch United FC.

Jack Ferris and Mike O’Connor celebrate the equalizer in the final minutes of the game.

Yesterday’s draw sees Christchurch United staying in the second spot, with Waimak United two points in behind them. Next game for Christchurch United will be played next Saturday, again at the Christchurch Football Centre, when Halswell United will be the opponent. The game will kick-off at 2.30pm.

Other senior results:

Christchurch United Reserves  1 – 2  Waimak United

Christchurch United Presidents  4 – 3  Universities

Christchurch United Cows  12 – 0  Hurunui Rangers