Christchurch United draws away at Halswell United

Christchurch United didn’t come back with the win yesterday, after an intense and physical game against Halswell United.

At a bumpy and wet pitch at Halswell Domain, Christchurch United struggled to play football during the first half, choosing to use the long ball a bit more than usual. Although the team was battling for every ball, they were not able to create a lot of chances. At the other side, Halswell United came out dangerous a few times, with runners in behind the Christchurch United defense.

James Toohey started the game as a number 10 yesterday.

The first half didn’t see any goals, which made the second half more interesting, as the win was still up for grabs for both teams.

The second half saw Christchurch United playing the ball around a bit more, what made them more dangerous up front as well. Creating a few chances, the boys in blue and white just needed a bit more luck to open the score. At the other side, Halswell United seemed to have found that bit of luck, when they opened the score after the ball rolled slowly into the back of the net .

Juan Chang played a good game as a striker yesterday, and was too quick for the Halswell United defense.

As in previous games, Christchurh United kept their heads up, coming back from being 1-0 down within 5 minutes. After Juan Chang set midfielder Colin van Gool up, his shot from distance ended up against the hands of a Halswell United defender in the box, which meant the referee couldn’t do anything else than put the ball on the spot. Colin van Gool converted the penalty, after the referee made him take it again, when some players ran in too early during the first penalty.

Halswell United was dangerous with several set pieces, with Lew Gordon clearing the ball here.

With half an hour left, there was plenty of time for Christchurch United to come away with the win, but Halswell United on the other side, was very dangerous as well, with two good opportunities. After a dangerous shot by Rodrigo Alvarez, Juan Chang hit the cross-bar with a spectacular volley, which saw the game ending in a 1-1 draw.

Rodrigo Alvarez came close to a goal with a shot from distance, in the final minutes of the game.

Next Saturday, Christchurch United will play the next competition game at home, when Parklands United comes down to the Christchurch Football Centre.

Other Senior Results:

Christchurch United Reserves  1 – 1  Nomads United

Christchurch United Pressies  2 – 1  Waimak Gold

Christchurch United Cows  7 – 0  Hornby Pressies